Christian Montessori School of Ann Arbor was founded in 2000 by a group of educators and parents who came together to build a school that would embody Montessori principles and be defined by Christian faith.
The school offered its first classes in rented space from what was then Covenant Presbyterian Church. Each week teachers would set the large open space with shelves and materials that would be the prepared environment for the children for the week, and then break it down again on Friday.
After that first year, the school acquired the building in which it is now housed. Built as a public school in Ann Arbor in the 1950’s, the building had been used as a garage and work space for the family that owned it for more than a decade.
Families and teachers worked through the summer to prepare the space to have it ready when it opened its doors in the Fall of 2001. In the following years, as interest in the school expanded and enrollment grew, two major additions were constructed to create expanded office space and two new classrooms.
In 2008 the school began offering a half-day program for toddlers, again renting space from a nearby church. In Fall of 2010, the Young Children’s Community was brought into the main building and was licensed by the State of Michigan.
Summer 2016 brought our newest programming addition, our Nido (infant) Community to our campus. We are excited to offer true Montessori programs, with Montessori certified teaching staff, beginning from infancy through third grade!
We are committed to expanding to meet the needs of students and families and continuing to offer quality Christian Montessori programs for children ages infant through 3rd grade.